Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Warmouth on Fly

 ***I haven't shared much regarding techniques for quit a while, my recent posts being more about the fish with which I am so enamored.  I'm going to start sharing more specifically what I've learned for the various species I've caught.

We all know fish in different waters can behave differently and have different preferences.  But I think overall this will give folks who want to try for certain species more info that can hopefully get them started off on the right foot, rather than going blindly.  We can all shorten our personal learning curve by first learning from the experience of others.***

This blog post is about Warmouth.

Warmouth on Fly

Warmouth are sometimes found in slow creeks, swamps, small lakes, and canals.  I've caught them in Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and Florida.

They are nearly always found near some sort of structure...whether that is large rocks, timber, or weeds.  

Warmouth, in my experience, are more commonly caught in warmer weather, Spring thru Fall.

They have large mouths, so you can usually catch Warmouth on flies in the #14 to #4 fly hook size range.  I've caught most of my Warmouth subsurface, I've had good results with small woolly buggers and medium- to small-sized nymphs.  Microjigs in various sizes and colors have caught most of my Warmouth, and sometimes you need that sort of weight to get a fly down in between rocks or wood where they often like to inhabit.  That extra weight can help especially on windy days.  Black works well, as does silver, gold, and even chartreuse.  You can use an indicator to suspend your fly or microjig, or you can use a slow retrieve, or simply fish vertically amongst shoreline cover.


For gear, a 3wt or 5 wt fly rod is more than sufficient.  4-6 lb fluorocarbon tippet is perfect.  They aren't super-strong fighters.

Warmouth are such a cool fish!  They are challenging and fun.  I really enjoy catching them on flies. Do some research, find some fish near you, and get after them!  Good luck! 

Here's some pics of Warmouth I've caught while flyfishing:




















No comments:

Post a Comment