Sunday, January 7, 2024

Koi on Fly

***I haven't shared much regarding techniques for quit a while, my recent posts being more about the fish with which I am so enamored.  I'm going to start sharing more specifically what I've learned for the various species I've caught.

We all know fish in different waters can behave differently and have different preferences.  But I think overall this will give folks who want to try for certain species more info that can hopefully get them started off on the right foot, rather than going blindly.  We can all shorten our personal learning curve by first learning from the experience of others.***

This blog post is about Koi.


Koi on Fly

The biggest challenge is finding a public (or private) water that allows fishing.  I'm fortunate to have found such a place not far from where I live.  I've seen guys post catches from other places as well, like...I think Michigan(?), and definitely from Arizona's Phoenix area.  I'm certain there are other places scattered around the U.S., most likely where folks who had Koi in an aquarium or outdoor decorative water feature may have decided to release the fish into local waters.  They shouldn't do this, but it has happened.

My personal experience with Koi comes from ponds in public parks, where fishing is allowed.

It definitely helps if the water is clear enough for sight-fishing....where you can cast toward an individual or group of fish, and see how they react.  I've caught fish that I didn't see first, but the visible fish are your best and easiest targets.

I've caught Koi during every month of the year.  As long as the water isn't iced over, I've caught them on flyfishing gear/flies.  They are more active in warmer water, but I really like targeting them during the winter season when other fish aren't as willing to strike.

At times the fish can be lethargic, and I've witnessed many times when park users would stop to feed the fish or ducks, which would cause the Koi to start feeding more aggressively.  So, now I occasionally take a small sandwich ziplock bag of cat food (we own a cat), and if the fish aren't cooperating, I can usually change that by tossing a few handfuls of cat food out into the water.  Chumming like this certainly isn't required, but it can help.  Do as you wish.

I use a 9' long 6 wt fly rod.  These fish can be pretty strong.  They are also smart, so I prefer to use 6 lb or 8 lb test Fluorocarbon tippet.  For fly patterns, small microjigs set below a strike indicator has been my most consistent technique.  I've caught them other ways as well... from small unweighted woolly buggers (especially white) to small floating flies...like foam beetles or pellet flies.  But the microjigs have caught many hundreds of Koi for me, so I will focus on that.

I like the Fish Pimp Original size football-style strike indicators.  I like to tie my own patterns on Wapsi Super Jig Heads.  They have stronger hooks than most other commercially available microjigs.  I think 1/64th oz with the #8 hook is about perfect for Koi.  I've tried different body materials.  White chenille with a short white marabou tail works very well, but I've caught them on many other colors.  My current favorites sport either a short white marabou or rabbit fur tail, and Peach, Sockeye, Candy Pink, or UV White color Eggstacy chenille, by Flybox, palmered up the hookshank.


Other weighted egg patterns, like a Y2K, can also work very well.

The depth I set the fly depends on where the fish are.  If they are feeding off or just under the surface, setting it 6" deep might get the most strikes.  Where I fish, 18"-24" is usually a good depth to start with if the fish are visible but hanging a bit deeper.  Adjust your fly to where your fish are, or just above.
I've noticed Koi can get interested by watching a fly sink down to near their level, or even dropping below.  Koi often take and spit the fly very quickly, so if they are approaching the fly from slightly below, that helps to get some sort of signal from the strike indicator that a take is occurring.  

Koi eat everywhere in the water column, from the surface, to rooting in the bottom.  

Koi are challenging and fun, and where I fish they are available in many colors and scale patterns.  You never know what you might catch next!  I really enjoy catching them on flies. Do some research, find some fish near you, and get after them!  Good luck! 

Here's a few pics of Koi I've caught while flyfishing:












No comments:

Post a Comment