Sunday, January 21, 2024

Redspotted Sunfish on Fly

  ***I haven't shared much regarding techniques for quit a while, my recent posts being more about the fish with which I am so enamored.  I'm going to start sharing more specifically what I've learned for the various species I've caught.

We all know fish in different waters can behave differently and have different preferences.  But I think overall this will give folks who want to try for certain species more info that can hopefully get them started off on the right foot, rather than going blindly.  We can all shorten our personal learning curve by first learning from the experience of others.***

This blog post is about Redspotted Sunfish.

Redspotted Sunfish on Fly

Although I had taken Ichthyology in college, and had been nearly a lifelong angler, Redspotted Sunfish were basically unknown to me until a couple years ago.  I'm certainly no expert, but I just don't see anyone talking about these fish, especially as a target for fly fishing.  So, I will share what I've learned so far.
Below is the range map for Redspotted Sunfish, an excellent visual created by KOAW.ORG.  Check these guys out, they have really done some great research on all the sunfish species!



I've caught them in small creeks and swampy areas in southern MO and northern AR.

Really cool fish!  I've caught them on surface flies (like a foam bug), on microjigs, and on a small black unweighted woolly bugger.

They don't get very big, so keep your fly small.  #10 or smaller will do the trick.
These are #12 or #14 microjigs, which work well for Redspotted Sunfish.  Small Woolly Buggers also get eaten.

Best times to catch them are Spring close to when they are spawning, in my experience, but I also haven't gone looking for them after about mid-summer.

As you might expect, I feel it helps immensely if the water is clear enough for sight-fishing....where you can present the fly to an individual fish or spot, and see how they react.  But I've caught ones I did not see before they ate the fly. 

They seem to like being near vegetation, but I've caught them near rocks as well.

They don't get particularly big, usually, and they aren't particularly strong fighters. Redspotted Sunfish can be enjoyed on 3wt-5wt fly rods.  I use a weight forward floating line, and tippet should be 2lb-6lb Fluorocarbon.  

Redspotted Sunfish are very challenging, uncommon, unusual, interesting, and fun.  I really enjoy catching them on flies. They are a native fish that needs to be more appreciated.  Do some research, find some fish near you, and get after them!  Good luck! 

Here's some pics of Redspotted Sunfish I've caught while fly fishing:
















No comments:

Post a Comment