Saturday, January 13, 2024

Redear Sunfish on Fly

***I haven't shared much regarding techniques for quit a while, my recent posts being more about the fish with which I am so enamored.  I'm going to start sharing more specifically what I've learned for the various species I've caught.

We all know fish in different waters can behave differently and have different preferences.  But I think overall this will give folks who want to try for certain species more info that can hopefully get them started off on the right foot, rather than going blindly.  We can all shorten our personal learning curve by first learning from the experience of others.***

This blog post is about Redear Sunfish.

Redear Sunfish

12" Redear Sunfish on Fly

I've caught Redear Sunfish from ponds, lakes, and streams.  The ones from streams have been surprise fish, so I can't say I've got those figured out.  We'll focus on the Redears in ponds and lakes.

I've not done well during the middle of winter for Redears, but you can catch them fairly late and early in the season.  Spring seems best, with Summer a close second.  Snails typically like rocky, gravelly, and weedy areas, so look for Redears in areas that contain one or more of these features.  Shallow areas are usually good, unless they get too hot that it makes the fish or their food uncomfortable.  Sometimes I find them scattered over sandy flats, and also in areas with muddy bottoms.  I suppose the muddy bottoms contain burrowing nymphs and worm-type creatures that the Redears like to eat.

Redear Sunfish are specialized in eating shellfish such as tiny mollusks, clams, and especially snails.  They will also readily eat aquatic nymphs, tiny fish, and even terrestrial insects that might land on the water.

They can be caught on dry flies and bluegill poppers, but mot of the ones I catch (by far) are caught subsurface.  You can cast and retrieve flies, like beadhead and unweighted Woolly Buggers, nymph patterns such as damselfly and dragonfly nymphs.  My most consistently producing technique is a microjig under a strike indicator, with gold seeming to be one of the better colors for me.  Microjigs in the 1/124 oz to 1/64th oz seem best, with a hook size of #10-#8.  I like the Fish Pimp Original size football-style strike indicators.  I usually begin setting it at about 20" above the microjig, and then adjust from there based on water depth or where the fish may be located.  A fly that is black is also a solid choice.  One other fly pattern I've had good success with is called a Briminator, tied with various parts of a pheasant.

Although I feel they do fight even better than bluegill, a 3wt to 5 wt fly rod will work great, with 2 lb to 8 lb fluorocarbon tippet.

Some flies that would work well for Redear Sunfish.

Here's a few pics of Redear Sunfish I've caught while flyfishing:














No comments:

Post a Comment