Sunday, January 21, 2024

Channel Catfish on Fly

 ***I haven't shared much regarding techniques for quit a while, my recent posts being more about the fish with which I am so enamored.  I'm going to start sharing more specifically what I've learned for the various species I've caught.

We all know fish in different waters can behave differently and have different preferences.  But I think overall this will give folks who want to try for certain species more info that can hopefully get them started off on the right foot, rather than going blindly.  We can all shorten our personal learning curve by first learning from the experience of others.***

This blog post is about Channel Catfish.

Channel Catfish on Fly

Channel Catfish on Fly

Channel Catfish on a Bass Popper!

Channel Catfish can be found in the middle of the U.S., east of the Rocky Mountains, and west of the Appalachian Mountains... and Canada thru Texas.

They have been widely stocked, and can be found in rivers, lakes, reservoirs, and ponds.

Channel Catfish are fairly omnivorous, but in my experience, they seem to become more and more predatory the larger they get.  All sizes will hit a fly.  They will feed everywhere from the very surface to the very bottom.  In a reservoir or spillway where they may be feasting on Shad, I've caught them on white fly patterns that resemble a shad or other baitfish.  In a pond where they may be feeding on nymphs, I've caught them on flyrod versions, like a Gartside Nymph or Jumpin' Catfish Nymph or Woolly Bugger.  I've caught them on bass-sized fly rod poppers in the evening when they may be hunting for frogs or small bluegills.  I've caught them on a Zonker fly pattern, and I've caught them on sculpin or crayfish patterns on the bottom.  I've caught them on microjigs suspended beneath a strike indicator.  I've caught them on flies tied for carp fished on or near the bottom.  There truly is no wrong way to fly fish for Channel Catfish, but the fish will have to tell you what they want.

Stu Thompson catches nice channel catfish on his DDH Leech fly pattern in the Red River in Manitoba near Winnipeg.

Where I fish, I catch Channel Catfish most often during the warmest months of the year.  I don't know what they do when it gets colder, but I just don't see or catch them then.  I say that, but I've also caught them while ice-fishing.

As you might expect, I feel it helps immensely if the water is clear enough for sight-fishing....where you can present the fly to an individual fish or spot, and see how they react.  But most often I'm fishing stained water.  When ripe mulberries are falling into the water, channel catfish will hang out in the water underneath those trees and eat the fruit that drops in...or a fly that looks roughly like a mulberry.  Even during the rest of the summer, I've caught catfish under overhanging trees.  They probably like the shade, but they will certainly check out any "plop" sound on the water to see if it is food.

They do seem to like feeding along rocky shorelines.  They will feed just under the surface at times, but most often are feeding near the bottom.  They will also feed along weedlines.

Channel Catfish can get big, and are excellent, strong fighters. They can be enjoyed on 4wt-6wt fly rods.  I use a weight forward floating line, and tippet should be about 8lb Fluorocarbon.  

Handle Channel Catfish with care, as the spines in there dorsal and pectoral fins can poke you.  It stings, but they are not poisonous.  Also, don't lip them like a bass.  Expecially the larger ones have very rough tooth pads on their jaws, and a VERY strong bite force.  They WILL clamp down on your finger!  

Channel Catfish are very challenging, strong, and fun.  I really enjoy catching them on flies. They are a native fish that needs to be appreciated by more fly anglers.  Do some research, find some fish near you, and get after them!  Good luck! 

Here's some pics of Channel Catfish I've caught while flyfishing:









Small Channel Catfish will hit flies too!





Big  Channel Catfish on a nymph.


31" Channel Catfish... approx. 12 lbs, caught on a small fly during my lunch hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment