Thursday, May 30, 2024

Grass Pickerel on Fly

  ***I haven't shared much regarding techniques for quit a while, my recent posts being more about the fish with which I am so enamored.  I'm going to start sharing more specifically what I've learned for the various species I've caught.

We all know fish in different waters can behave differently and have different preferences.  But I think overall this will give folks who want to try for certain species more info that can hopefully get them started off on the right foot, rather than going blindly.  We can all shorten our personal learning curve by first learning from the experience of others.***

This blog post is about Grass Pickerel.


I've caught a number of Grass Pickerel on flies. They have been from different locations on a single river system near southern Missouri/northern Arkansas.  I've fished with someone when they caught Grass Pickerel from a couple other spots, and the techniques are very similar in all cases.  So, I'll give my experience with those.  

Grass Pickerel are the among the smallest members of the Pike/Mudminnow family, typically caught when between 5-8", but can reach 12".  Their lifespan is short, typically just 3-4 years.  They spawn very early in the year, like February-March.

Grass Pickerel can be caught most any time of year.  They prefer clear waters and slow moving waters in swamps, ditches and canals, naturals lakes, and near creek headwaters.  They will often be in or adjacent to shoreline weeds and cover.  In streams they will be adjacent to the faster water, not usually right in it

The catchable size fish commonly eat aquatic nymphs and small fish.  Use flies that can mimic these food items.

3 wt to 5 wt 9' fly rods will work fine for Grass Pickerel.  Although they are aggressive and fast and struggle mightily when hooked, because of their size, it would be difficult to suggest they are strong fighters.  Very cool fish, though, and I really DO enjoy catching them.  2 lb to 6 lb Fluorocarbon tippet is plenty strong for these fish.  They may have typical pike/musky blade-like teeth, but I haven't had any issues with them cutting or abrading the line noticeably.  If it ever happens to you, just realize it isn't common, and its OK for the fish to win sometimes.  Tie on a new fly and continue fishing.

I'd read these fish have a liking for the color red, but in my experience color hasn't seemed to be particularly important.  I've caught them on black, chartreuse, gold, silver, etc.  Most any nymph or small baitfish should work.  I catch most of mine on microjigs... marabou tail, chenille body.  1/80th-1/64th, and hook sizes 12 to 8.  One of the most important things seems to be to be that, like for Chain Pickerel, they seem to LOVE an erratic retrieve.  It really seems to get them fired up and they can't leave the fly alone!


When they are tucked in/under/around weedbeds, dapping the fly along the edges, holes, and pockets can get them to come out and bite.

If they are around, it usually doesn't take long to get a strike.  The strikes are quick and aggressive.  They can be hard to keep hooked, and even once lifted from the water, they thrash and can often free themselves.

Grass Pickerel are challenging and fun, and they are such an interesting fish!  I really enjoy catching them on flies. Find some fish near you, and get after them!  Good luck! 

Here's some pics of Grass Pickerel I've caught while flyfishing:

Grass Pickerel on fly








No comments:

Post a Comment