Monday, July 17, 2023

July 16, 2023

 I visited 2 new-to-me places, and one of my usual fishing spots.

The first new spot was Bellefontaine Conservation Area.  There's 3 ponds that aren't open to the public, and one that is.  I caught some Largemouth Bass....on a GameChanger fly, a Double-Barrel Popper fly, and a black unweighted Woolly Bugger.  I also caught some nice 8"-9" Bluegills.


The 2nd new place was Coldwater Creek that flows alongside Fort Belle Fontaine.  According to aerial images, the creek is usually relatively clear...but recent rains had it muddied up and I assume higher than normal.  It was a long walk from the parking area to get to the water.  I fished some good-looking spots, but caught nothing.  I think it might be worthwhile to hit it again when the water is more clear.

The 3rd places was the swamp I fish for Bowfin.  I was unable to catch any bowfin on my last trip here, although I saw plenty.  Not sure what's up with the finicky buggers....maybe I've caught so many of  them, they've learned to avoid me, my flies, and my tricks and techniques.  Once again, I saw plenty of bowfin.  I had something large on that I never saw, then had a nice female bowfin one that eventually shook free, and finally caught a decent male Bowfin.  A thunderstorm was rolling in, so I had to cut my day short and head out.


Sun-bleached turtle shell:

2nd Snowberry Clearwing sighting of the year:


No comments:

Post a Comment