Monday, August 12, 2024

Mid-August 2024

To complete the Lepomis sunfish list above, on fly, I still needed Northern Sunfish.  That was a goal for this year.  With some help, I was able to find a location near Chicago that was a 4 hour drive away from Saint Louis.  I made it a day trip....there and back.  I was successful!  I caught around a dozen of the little beauties! They really look like sort of an intermediary between Longear Sunfish and Pumpkinseed Sunfish.  Very cool!

Northern Sunfish


While there, I also caught Green Sunfish, Striped Shiners, Creek Chubs, and a Yellow Bullhead.



I saw this Doe and her fawns in the creek.  The doe didn't like me there.  She was stomping and blowing at me.  I told her she was safe from me.  She wasn't convinced.  So I made a blowing noise back at her, and then she took off up the bank after her fawns.

That got me to Flyrod species #79 for the year, 140 on the Fly Lifelist (120 Freshwater).

--------------------------------------------------------------

The next day after that 8 hr drive, I slept in, then decided to go chase some bigger fish.  Why not Grass Carp?

I had a good day at that.... I caught 10 Grass Carp! I haven't caught double-digit numbers of Grass Carp in one day since 2021!  There was one stretch in the afternoon that I caught 6 Grass Carp in a span of just 43 minutes!  That kind of action is awesome!

I also caught 3 Largemouth Bass, 2 White Bass, 3 Freshwater Drum, a Bluegill, Hybrid Sunfish, and Green Sunfish.  A couple Shortnose Gar shook free.




No comments:

Post a Comment