Wednesday, November 11, 2020

2020 Flyrod Fish Species List

 Had a great year for species caught on flies.  Typically I'd been getting 19-25 species each year.  This year I got 32 (or 33, based on how I'm recording them).  I had about 1/2 year in Iowa, then moved to Missouri.  In Missouri alone, I caught 27 species!

There was some overlap of species between Iowa and Missouri.... so I will start with Missouri species (and show an example), then add Iowa-caught species that weren't on the Missouri list.  I will put an asterisk(*) next to species that I caught on flies for the very first time this year...there were 9 of them!!

MISSOURI

1. Largemouth Bass:


2. Smallmouth Bass:


3. Kentucky Spotted Bass*:

4. White Bass:

5. Walleye:

6. Sauger*:

7. White Crappie:

8. Bluegill:

9. Redear Sunfish:

10. Longear Sunfish*:

11. Green Sunfish:

12. Hybrid Sunfish:
 

13. Common Carp:

14. Mirror Carp (no picture; I realize is isn't a separate species from Common Carp, but they are readily identifiable as different...so I'm treating it as a separate species for this purpose):

15. Silver Carp*:

16. Grass Carp:

17. Freshwater Drum:

17. Shortnose Gar:

19. Goldeye*:
 
20. Northern Studfish*:

21. Channel Catfish:

22. Hornyhead Chub:

23. Creek Chub:

24. Striped Shiner:

25. Common Shiner:

26. Golden Shiner*:

27. Rainbow Trout:


And additional species caught in Iowa this year:

28. Black Crappie:

29. Orangespotted Sunfish*:

30. Pumpkinseed Sunfish:

31. Black Bullhead:

32. Goldfish:

33. Comet Goldfish* (again, not technically a separate species from regular goldfish, but very identifiable as different...so I'm counting it as separate):


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful array of fishes! The studfish is, well, a stud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You catch lots of cool fish as well. :)
      I had never heard of a studfish before....until about a week or so before I caught some. Good thing someone posted pictures, or I wouldn't have known what it was that I'd caught! I was told they are the largest member of the Killifish family. Pretty cool.

      Delete