Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Flyfishing Report, Early May 2015

The Crappies in the smaller ponds seem to be done spawning (but males are still hanging around the nesting areas), but are going strong in the bigger lakes/reservoirs.

The Largemouth Bass are nesting in the smaller ponds and probably spawned within the week.  They can be really finicky around the nest!


The Bluegills have just started nesting, and the females are about ready to burst!


PumpkinseedSunfish are also nesting, and currently spawning.

Speaking of Pumpkinseeds....I finally caught a 9-incher!  That qualifies as an Iowa Master Angler size...


Buffalo were spawning last weekend....didn't even know they were IN the pond I was fishing until I saw them.  Common Carp seem to be doing some spawning in the shallow weeds as well.  Grass Carp....I dunno... they are still a mystery to me.  I haven't figured them out yet.

I did foul-hook a common carp, which wasn't intentional, nor very sporting...but still perversely fun.
The hook pulled out before I could land it, though.

And the ducks....well....their chicks must be a favorite food of something in the ponds....the numbers of chicks has diminished from about 10/hen duck to about 2-4 chicks/hen duck now!

2 comments:

  1. Dave, great to see you have a great early season of fishing in your area. Those are definite plump Bluegills. Nice Crappie, too. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the same thing down here in my neck of the woods...right now the shallows are just full of all kinds of fish ,most of them more interested in spawning than eating.

    ReplyDelete