Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Took My Son Fishing

My daughter was busy, but my son was free last night.  My buddy Jay called from the lakeshore and said the words "...Every cast!".
We ate dinner and headed out the door.

As happens often...we missed it.  In the short time before we got to the lake, the wind died and changed directions, and the fish activity screeched almost to a complete halt.  I got to hear the stories of "You should have been here 1/2 hour ago!"

I wanted my son, Carson, to catch plenty of fish, knowing he would have fun doing that.  Instead, he was bored most of the time, but had fun during the exciting moments when he did catch a couple of hard-fighting White Bass.

I caught around 10 fish or so, and there were some nice 14"+ White Bass in the bunch.


I also tried my fly rod for a bit, and managed 1 small Largemouth Bass on a modified Clouser.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice whites. Sounds like you've been getting the whole family involved as well...way to go. Drove by the exit to Saylorville Lake on our way back from the Driftless Region the other day and we wondered what the fishing was like , now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it! Augest/September tend to be the best months to fish the lake. Saylorville Lake can be horrible at times. You'd swear there wasn't a fish in the entire lake. But when its good, its GOOD! The variety and size of fish is fantastic! There's large Carp, Channel Catfish, Largemouth Bass, White Bass, Wipers (Hybrids), Crappies, Bluegills, Hybrid Sunfish, Freshwater Drum, Flathead Catfish, Buffalo...even some Smallmouth Bass, Walleyes, Northern Pike, Yellow Perch and Yellow Bass. And a variety of Suckers. The main forage is Gizzard Shad.

    ReplyDelete