Monday, August 15, 2011

Backyard Scenes, 8-14-2010

Hummingbirds have been going absolutely berserk in our backyard this weekend!  They love the Honeysuckle vines and (appropriately enough) the 3 colors of Hummingbird vines (red, orange, and yellow) covering much of the fence on all 3 sides of the backyard.  I'd like to get a picture of them, but I haven't been able to get close enough.  That's not completely true...I got within about 4' of one, I think he was as surpised as I was when he flew over the fence and landed right next to me.  We eyed each other.  I knew he'd be gone as soon as I moved to raise my camera!
So....no pictures of the hummingbirds yet.
Instead, I offer up these backyard shots:

Brown-colored Praying Mantis

Buckeye Butterfly


Japanese Beetle

This is a Viceroy Butterfly, which is a "mimic" of the Monarch Butterfly.  While the Monarch has a nasty toxic taste to birds, the Viceroy has no such bad taste.  Mimicry only works if there are fewer of the mimics than the species being mimicked.  So...these aren't commonly seen.  They LOVE the Butterfly Bush, though!  I counted 3 on it yesterday, and one Monarch.

Lightning strike!

1 comment:

  1. I've tried to capture hummingbird shots as well and just havn't been quick enough to get one yet. Cool backyard bug shots...Jeff

    ReplyDelete