Monday, October 3, 2022

October 2, 2022

 After my previous trip for Bowfin, I was one short of 30 lifetime bowfin, so I went back hoping for at least one more.  Also, last trip I caught 8, but lost 19! 

This trip was better.  I caught 15 Bowfin, and lost @ 3.  Much better landing rate, although I can't say I did anything different, so the difference is something of a mystery.  

I also caught some small Warmouth, Largemouth Bass, and Green Sunfish, and had a few gar shake loose before I could land them.  And I saw a big Raccoon, my first (live) one since moving to MO.

























3 comments:

  1. 15 bowfin!!! I'm so jealous! Some really nice ones in there too. that one in the toothy photo seems to be hooked right behind that plate that runs along the side of their mouths. You take an analytical approach to this, at least compared to me, so if anyone can figure out the catch rate mystery and why they do what they do it's you.

    Just look at the tails of these fish, how wide and muscular they are compared to any other fish. They're like the pitbulls of the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are crazy strong. Outstanding gamefish, for sure! Maybe its in their best interest to remain "under the radar"? I've caught a few on an 8wt rod with 12 lb test fluoro tippet, but most have been caught on a fast 9wt rod with 50 lb fluoro tippet. I do my best to keep the fish under pressure, hoping the hook won't slip out, and to get them landed as quickly as possible. Line damage hasn't been too bad...about what you'd expect from catching any toothy fish that size, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Correction… I think I’ve been using 20 lb Fluoro tippet.

      Delete