Wednesday, August 24, 2022

August 23, 2022

Took the latter part of the afternoon off work, and went to a new-to-me fishing spot I was just made aware of.  Saw Common Carp, Grass Carp, Bowfin, Shornose Gar, and a couple other fish that may have been catfish or bullheads.  Also saw several snakes, turtles, frogs, and wading birds.

The water in the area I fished was really muddy, and had a rust-colored scum floating on the surface.  The fish could be seen only right at the surface.

Was really excited to find Bowfin, so I spent pretty much the entire time trying for them.   I tried a lot of different flies, from topwater to the bottom, some with rattles, different colors from white to black... and could not buy a bite from the Bowfin.  I had a nice gar on for a bit, but it eventually shook free.

I caught a decent Freshwater Drum, and a huge clam/mussel ("Giant Floater"?).




No comments:

Post a Comment