Monday, June 7, 2021

Early June 2021

 Got out flyfishing Saturday morning.  Good mix of species, not a lot of fish....mostly shortnose gar.  They are fun!  I did catch 3 more species for the year, and 2 new species to add to my flyrod list.

24" Channel Catfish:


Freshwater Drum.  This one followed a microjig up from the depths.  I slowed the fly and let it drop a bit, the Drum lunged in and gulped it like a Redfish.  So fun!

First White Bass of the year:

Bluegill

First time on a flyrod for me.... Skipjack Herring! (caught just one)


Shortnose Gar.  I caught probably around 8 of these:

A first for me, Longnose Gar.  I've been wanting to catch one of these on a fly for quite awhile, it finally happened!

A mix of shortnose and longnose....

So...In approximately 15 years of flyfishing in Iowa, I caught 38 species of fish there on flies.  I thought that was pretty good!
In less than 11 months in Missouri, I've already caught 39 species of fish on flies.  I think that's pretty cool!
And in just a little over 5 full months, I've caught 30 species of fish on flies in 2021.  I think I had 33 species in 2020, which was my best year ever for species.


No comments:

Post a Comment