Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekend Flyfishing, 11/17 & 11/18/2012

Flyfished for trout on Saturday morning.  It was tough.  The fish were definitely in a negative mood, the way they reacted to flies.  Still managed to land 8 Rainbows, but it took 3.5 hours to do it.  Beadhead Buggers fished really slow worked best for me.  Took some pictures of my friend Dale G., who arrived ahead of me and definitely caught more fish than I.

-----------------------------

Flyfished a City pond late afternoon Sunday, from 3:45pm-5:30pm.  Targeted Bluegills.  Uses a glass beadhead woolly bugger pattern for awhile.  Caught some nice Bluegills and a chunky bass.  Switched to a chartreuse microjig under an indicator, and caught quite a few more dandy Bluegills.  Ended up landing 28 really nice Bluegills (up to at least 8"), and the one fat bass (guesstimated 13").

The Bluegills and Bass all fought REALLY well.  As usual, I was impressed with the size of bluegills in this particular pond.  We've ice-fished it in the past, and for some reason the fish are always extremely hard to find in this pond.  One thing I noted was that some of the bigger bluegills had some sort of lesions...that looked like globs of slime stuck to them.  I've seen it before in other places, not sure what the cause is.  Also caught one 'gill that had it so bad that it had a large open wound on one side of its body.  Strange.  Again...with all the fertilizers and herbicide/pesticides that run into these ponds, I sure wouldn't ever EAT any of these fish.  :icon_puke_l:  Still great fun to catch, though!  :toothy4:

Here's some pics:







2 comments:

  1. Give me those wild fish over the sticked trout any day, but that's just me. NICE bluegills! I envy that, they're just not as available to me here. Congrats on the # of viewers, it says something about your blog-grat stuff given well!

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete