Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Lunch-Time Fishing Report 9/8/2010

I went fishing (just now) during my lunch-hour to a local public pond. I haven’t been there for a long time. Its the one that all the BIG bluegills got harvested out of a year or two back. There was some good catfish in there too, as well as a few jumbo grass carp.


What I saw today was reasonably clear water, TONS of algae ringing the pond, extending even further out than I've ever seen before, although there was a 10' gap between shore and the algae mats, so it looks like maybe some effort was made to "rake in" the stuff close to shore?

I did see some decent, but not HUGE, bass, some smallish bluegills, and a couple of very small grass carp (must have been stocked this year). I actually got the grass carp to take a few looks at one floating fly, but they didn't hit, and finally left the area.

I did catch a 13" bass on a #8 Sparrow variation, and small bluegill on a rubber legged beadchain-eye nymph.

Check out the ducks in the background...they weren't scared of me at all!

And even small bluegills can be VERY colorful!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave
    The algae you are refering to will most likey take over the majority of the pond, It can grow in depths of 8 ft. in clear water. I have seen it take a small pond completely over. Nice catch.

    ReplyDelete