Monday, September 12, 2016

September 4, 2016

I've been doing quite a bit of flyfishing for bass this season.  I wanted a change of pace.  I decided to focus on sunfish on Sunday morning.  Didn't even try a bass popper, can you believe it?   :)

Specifically, I was hoping to catch some Pumpkinseed Sunfish.  The water was very muddy, due to all the ducks and geese migrating through the area.  They really really ruin the water clarity.  You'd have to see it to understand...but this pond had recently good water clarity (for Iowa) of 2-3' or more.  Sunday, water clarity varied in some parts, based on waterfowl usage....but at its worst, was maybe 2".  Very bad.

Anyway, I used a microjig under an indicator much of the time, and was oddly plagued with many fish throwing the hook, even though it was very sharp.  Lost a couple really good fish, which might have been either nice bass or BIG Pumpkinseeds.

In addition to good numbers of Bluegills, I did catch just one beautiful Pumpkinseed Sunfish.

The muddied waters may have had the positive effect of encouring the crappies to move into the shallows.  I landed two of them.



Even though I wasn't fishing for them, I caught at least 8 Largemouth Bass.  Nothing over @ 14"....
Here's the smallest of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment