Monday, March 18, 2024

March 16, 2024

 With my Bowfin spot finally open for the year, I was excited to give it a shot, and check out the water levels, and what the recent rains may have affected.

I'd tied up a few Bass Master flies... and then realized I forgot the rubber legs on all of them!


At the first spot I fished, I caught a small female Eyetail Bowfin, and lost a slightly larger one.  Success!
I moved to the 2nd and 3rd and 4th spots... Caught a Bluegill and a half-dozen or so Green Sunfish.
At one spot, I spotted a fish in the opening of a shallow weedy area.  Decided to try for it.  I put a microjig in front of it several times, it appeared interested and looked, but did not eat.  It moved to another spot in the small cleared area.  I put the fly in front of it repeatedly, and got it to eat the fly at least 3 times.  It spit the fly out so fast, I wasn't able to set the hook quickly enough.  Frustrated at wasting time on this Silver Carp, I finally just foul-hooked it.  DON'T JUDGE ME! ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜…
At the next couple areas, there were lots of (mostly pretty small) Common Carp feeding in very shallow water, their backs often out of the water.  Tough to fish for them, it was VERY windy, and strike detection was nearly impossible for me.  I managed to hook 4 of them, but I think all may have been foul-hooked.  After WAY TOO LONG, I gave up.
I did get to meet another fly angler on my way out, and as luck would have it, we follow each other on Instagram, but had never met.  Jack is super-nice, and a much better angler than me!  Very glad to have met up!


No comments:

Post a Comment