Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Freshwater Species Caught on Topwater Lures/Flies

 I was on a fishing-related forum, and the conversation turned to topwaters.  Fish smashing your offering on the surface is always so exciting!  I decided to start a list of freshwater fish I've got on topwater lures or flies.  Some are species you'd expect, some you might not.

Here's my list:

1. Largemouth Bass


2. Smallmouth Bass




3. Kentucky Spotted Bass

4. White Bass

5. Hybrid Striped Bass

6. Northern Pike

7. Muskellunge

8. Walleye (!!)

(No picture, it was caught on a Pop-R at night while wading near shore at Big Creek Lake, Iowa.)

9. Channel Catfish

10. Bluegill

11. Pumpkinseed Sunfish


12. Longear Sunfish

13. Rock Bass

14. Green Sunfish

15. Hybrid Sunfish

16. Black Crappie

17. Grass Carp

18. Creek Chub

19. Hornyhead Chub

(No picture, it flipped out of my hand as I was getting ready to snap the picture with the other hand.  It hit a yellow Blockhead Popper on the Volga River, Iowa.)

20. Rainbow Trout

(This one hit that same blockhead popper!  Not your typical "dry fly" for trout!)



21. Brook Trout

.... that's all I can remember at the moment.  White Crappie might be on the list as well...I just can't verify that at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment