Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wipers and White Bass, 8-13-2012

After I got home from work, my buddy Jay called and said, "If you can get out, you've GOT to go fishing NOW!"  I knew where he was fishing.  I didn't know if I'd be able to get out, but after a call like that, my priorities quickly shifted and my son and I were soon headed out the door to meet up with Jay.

The action had slowed somewhat by the time we got there.  There were still occasional surface busts...small groups of fish attacking shad on the surface.  Some of these busts appeared to be LARGE fish!  My first 3 or 4 fish were all Wipers (Hybrids).  My biggest Wiper of the evening was maybe 15".  I also caught a few White Bass, with a couple of them measuring up to about 16.5".  NICE fish!

I caught fish on a Cicada blade bait, and on a TNT slab spoon.  Once again I brought both flyfishing gear and spinning gear.  And once again I didn't bother with the fly gear...the fish were just too far away.


The toughest part was waiting for fish to get within casting range.   Many of the bigger "busts" were in a certain area, and there were 4 to 8 guys fishing that area pretty hard.

Pretty exciting stuff though...When the wind is from the right direction, this shoreline can be VERY good fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment