Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lunchtime Flyfishing Report, 4-24-2013

Today's weather: SUNNY (for a change), 45 degrees F and rising. Wind 12 mph from the West.
Had to go flyfishing during lunch...right?

The sun is really bright, the water still a bit stained from all the recent rains and wind.  I fished a few spots without success, before finding some fish in the downwind corner of the pond.  Action was decent once I found them, but I quickly ran out of time.  I ended up catching at least 5 Bluegills, 4 Crappies and 1 Largemouth Bass.

The Crappies weren't overly large...just sort of average-sizes (9"-11" range), but they were REALLY feisty on the end of the line today!  They fought HARD!  The last one wasn't the longest one, but it was exceptionally thick with a big belly and SHOULDERS on it!

The bass was in the 13"-14" range, and it too had an exceptional belly on it:



I also took a poor-quality picture of an odd wading bird that I couldn’t readily identify.
I think it’s a Dowitcher…but not sure if it is a Long-Billed Dowitcher or Short-Billed Dowitcher, since apparently they are extremely difficult to differentiate.  Or…it might be something else entirely!  I assume it is migrating through...


2 comments: