Thursday, October 7, 2010

Testing new Pentax Optio W90 Camera

I LOVED my Nikon Coolpix S640!  Unfortunately, it didn't survive a recent fishing trip, even though it never got wet or anything.  I don't know why it quit, actually, but quit it did.

Figuring I need a sturdier camera for fishing trips, but one that takes good enough pics & video since I really use it for EVERYTHING, I decided to go with the Pentax Optio W90.  It is rated as waterproof to 20' deep for up to 2 hours continuous submersion, shockproof from a 4' drop onto plywood (interesting rating), dustproof, and cold-proof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (can you say ICE FISHING?).

It will take underwater pics and video.  As pleased as I was with the Nikon, I'm expecting SOME trade-off between picture quality and ruggedness with this Pentax.  But so far the pictures I've taken seem reasonably good.  Here's some examples of what I've taken so far:

White Bass from fishing today during lunch:

White Bass head: close-up (remember, click any picture to see the original size picture):
Here's a variety of colors of Uni Yarn on my fly-tying desk:
 And some flies I've tied recently...an Elk Hair Caddis:
 A Foxee Red Clouser (size 12):
 A Parachute-style dry fly pattern:

 And here's some backyard foliage, flower, and bug pics:
Pink Smoke Tree in fall colors:
 A couple of hot peppers on the vine:
 A Ladybug on the trampoline safety-surround net:
 Butterfly Bush:
 Phlox:
 I can't remember what these are.  Some sort of poisonous plant berries:
 Rose-of-Sharon:
 Weigala leaf:
 "Jumpy-Jumpy Grasshopper":


No comments:

Post a Comment