Monday, July 10, 2017

Early July 2017

Lunchtime flyfishing outings over the past week have resulted in a few Channel Catfish, but no carp.  The carp I have had on have either shook free or broke my line.  They are there!  I was getting a good drop on a carp near shore when a catfish showed up out of nowhere and grabbed the fly!
The catfish are all practically "cookie-cutter"...all pretty much the same size.  They are fun,  I look forward to when the grow another 6"+!




Also during lunch, I visited a pond hoping to try for some Grass Carp.  The grassies didn't show themselves, but the bass were very willing.

And I visited a stream to flyfishing for Smallmouth Bass.  Caught a green sunfish, a few small bass, and a nice healthy, STRONG 15.75" Smallmouth.

4 comments:

  1. Dave, that is quite a week of opportunity success wise! What Catfish patterns have you been tossing with success. We have some good Catfish here in a nearby pond that I have not tried for. I might be re-considering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel...a #10 or #8 Woolly Bugger with a glass (not metal) beadhead has been working for me. In this particular pond, the catfish have been feeding in shallow water, so the glass bead sinks the fly, but not so fast that it gets tangled in weeds much. If your fish are deeper, a metal beadhead, beadchain, or barbel-style eyes would be fine.
      I've also caught some catfish on a John Montana's Hybrid Carp Fly.

      Delete
  2. Very cool how consistently you get those catfish. My waters just aren't conducive for getting channel catfish on the fly like that, I have to get stupidly lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting stupidly lucky at this pond, too. :) Caught another one during lunch today. I can't actually see them (usually). I cast to bubbles that are coming up in certain areas, or I'm just blind casting over shallow weeds (4' or shallower), and they are coming up and hitting a swimming fly. There seems to be an abnormally high population in this particular pond. I don't catch them this consistently anywhere else. I'm really looking forward to when they get much bigger!

      Delete