Monday, April 18, 2016

Blog Refocus coming soon.

When I started this blog, I had several main goals in mind.
1.)  To chronicle my own fishing adventures in some fashion, for my own personal future perusal.
2.)  To share knowledge I've gained from much time spent fishing my local waters.
3.)  To excite and encourage others to get out and fish their own local waters by posting pictures of what can be caught in public waters.
4.)  To support a Catch, Photo & Release (CPR) ethic of fishing.  If a fishery is balanced, it doesn't need any interference on our part, and I do believe we can fish for the enjoyment of it without adversely affecting a fishery.  That's been my experience.  I should also say I'm not against folks keeping fish for the table, if done with proper regards to sustaining or improving your local fisheries.

I believe there is a hunger for information out there.  And let's face it, I think most of us have turned to the internet for the bulk of our information these days.  Its quick and easy to access from our computers and smartphones, and there is a huge amount of information available covering nearly anything you want to learn.  There are a fair number of websites & blogs that contain great information on flyfishing and warmwater flyfishing (which is the bulk of what I do here in central Iowa).  I hope to supplement what is already available, or maybe provide insight from a different or more focused perspective, based on my experiences.

So, in upcoming blog posts I'm planning to refocus on the sharing of information, so other anglers can (hopefully) shorten their learning curve towards being more successful on their local waters.  I will probably revisit some topics I have posted on before, especially species specific information.  So...expect to see me recycling pictures I've used before.  You've been warned.  :)   I plan to rewrite the blog entries from scratch, however, so the information should all be updated and new.

The bulk of my flyfishing takes place very close to home.  I happen to live in a town that has grown from @ 20,000 to 50,000 in the past 15 years.  Many residential and commercial subdivisions have been built.  Often, stormwater retention/detention ponds are included in the design of these subdivisions to help control soil erosion and surface water pollution.  The City often takes final ownership of these ponds and turns them into parks for the public to enjoy.  There are now more than 30 such ponds in my town, and these are the waters I fish most often.  I feel these public ponds are more difficult to fish than the typical farm pond, where often few people are allowed to fish each year.  These public ponds get fished nearly every day, so pressure is high.  And when the fish are large (especially bluegills or crappies), the big fish get harvested.  Sadly, this results in smaller bluegills in the ponds over time.  It is what it is.  I will talk about that more in future blog entries.


No comments:

Post a Comment