Monday, April 21, 2014

Flyfishing with Jay, 4/18-4/19/2014

We met up during my lunch hour on Friday to flyfish a public pond.  Jay caught a bunch of fish, mostly small crappies.  I caught just 2 small crappies and then spent much of the remaining time trying to entice one of the fairly numerous nice bass into striking.  I was unsuccessful.

Jay spend the afternoon fishing Saylorville and Big Creek.  He can comment on that if he wishes.

Friday evening I talked Jay into flyfishing some local ponds again.  The first one we fished, I was the second angler there.  But soon there was something like 14 people around a fairly small area of the pond!  Busy place!  We didn't stay long.  I caught 3 Crappies, 3 Hybrid Sunfish, and 4 Bluegills.

Then we drove to a different pond and resumed flyfishing.  There, I caught 6 Crappies, 1 Largemouth Bass, and 7 Bluegills.  My biggest 2 crappies were 12" and 13", both REALLY fat.  I assume they were females with eggs.
This is the 12-incher:



This is the 13-incher:

And here's the bass (with Jay in the background):

Saturday evening, I coerced Jay into flyfishing with my again, and we hit that last pond again.  No biggies this time.
I caught 9 Crappies, 3 Largemouth Bass, and 9 Bluegills.

All these fish were taken on a chartreuse 1/80th oz microjig about 18" below an indicator.

1 comment:

  1. I would say that it turned out to be a very worthy fishing weekend for you and Jay. Those Crappie look like they are some serious feeders. Nice fish! Thanks for being an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete