Tuesday, April 8, 2014

First Week of April 2104

I've been playing around with my switch rod some more.  Caught more bass, crappies, bluegills and trout on it.  So, that's been fun.  Have used a regular fly rod as well.
Pretty typical catches for this time of year.
These microjigs work GREAT when suspended beneath an indicator:




Trout were somewhat interested in striking things on/near the surface, so I tried a "foamhead woolly bugger" like the one below, and caught a couple trout after they had splashed on the surface.  It didn't completely float, but it sank very slowly.

6 comments:

  1. Dave, looks like you are getting your open water season off to a good start. Those fish look fine too me. Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days are better than others, for sure, but so far I've been able to catch fish on every trip to the water!

      Delete
  2. That's getting after it , nice collection of fish there considering your waters were probably hard just a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been able to to fish open water locally for the past 19 days (I didn't fish EVERY day, of course, but I did fish 9 of them). I've landed 162 fish in that time. I can't complain about that! :)

      Delete
  3. Dave
    Love those crappie jigs --thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like 'em, Bill! :) They are the perfect thing to use on a fly rod for early (and late) season Crappies & Bluegills.

      Delete