Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tuesday Evening Fly-Fishing, 6-12-2012


First...some recent updates:

I got out Monday night to the Prairie Ridge South pond.  It was windy, and I’d hoped to see (and fish for) grass carp back in the east end of the pond, but there were several other people fishing back there, so I didn’t even go on that side of the bridge.  I ended up catching a couple bass and around 20 bluegills, with some nice ones up to at least 8.5”.

I fly-fished during lunch on Tuesday at the backwaters below Saylorville.  Tried for carp.  Might’ve had one take, but no hookups.  There were some visible carp feeding in the area, and I made casts to a handful of them.  Mostly tried an egg pattern, both with and without an indicator.  It was really shallow where I was fishing.

-----------------------------
Last night I went to Georgetown Park pond.  It was pretty calm for a change.  Caught 15 crappies, 8 bluegills, 1 bass, and 1 catfish (25.5").

The catfish was awesome fun and extremely strong.  Since it wasn't 27", it isn't the same one I had caught at least 3 times before.  I caught the catfish and most of the crappies on an unweighted #8 white Woolly Bugger.


I also finally hooked another grass carp!  I had cast near the grass carp, and it looked like the grass carp moved towards the fly, then sunk out of sight.  Then my line started moving away so I set the hook.  I fought it for quite awhile...but every time I got it to the surface it was coming in TAIL FIRST...so I think it was snagged/foul-hooked.  I'll never know for sure because as I was trying to drag it over the top of the weeds/algae near shore, my line broke.  Pretty exciting while it was on, though...it was making huge boils on the surface and peeling line!


7 comments:

  1. Ok, so you may or may not believe this fish story... but last night, I was fishing for some monster bluegill, hooked one, and a fish came up and ATE IT. I think it was my first catfish on a fly. 30" at least. I about went potty on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice cat and possible fair grass carp hook up-who knows? Thay are buggers for sure. Did just recently catch a very nice carp on an egg/indicator, fly 4' below to bubbles. Possibly 17-20lb. but I'm no weight wizard. Anthony, nice catfish, he was caught on bait but caught on fly gear, nice.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me clarify my thoughts on Anthony's catfish. It was very nice, extremely large, and taken on fly gear. I meant no offense. I have largemouths routinely grab small sunfish, especially crappie, and swim away, fish very large at times. I fight them and let them swim about in sight below me, invariably they disgorge the poor little fellow. I could net them, and the fly could have come out and impaled the bass but either way it would not be a fish that took my fly. I could/should have just left well enough alone. Nice catfish, period.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, Gregg!
    Anthony's experience was accidental, but no less exciting because of it. I have not caught any catfish that chased a fish I had on my line...but I have caught largemouth bass that did that...and once had a really nice smallmouth bass eat a smaller smallmouth bass that was on my line. Wish I could've landed that big one, but it eventually spit the smaller fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...and I've caught or had northern pike on my line that ate walleyes or crappies that I was reeling in on spinning gear. Its so cool to witness big fish going after larger prey items than we normally try to imitate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right, those auxillary things we witness as fly fishers, micro or macro, are icing on the cake. That huge cat after an equally large bluegill would have been a sight and experience.

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete