Monday, April 4, 2011

First Lightning Pics of 2011!

Last year I took some Lightning pictures with a Nikon Coolpix S640 pocket camera.  They turned out....pretty good.  I posted them in a blog entry here:
http://fishndave.blogspot.com/2010/08/lighting-show-july-23-2010.html

Actually, I should say I took some VIDEO with said camera, and then saved individual frames out using MicroSoft Movie Maker.  There's probably other software to do this, and my camera can probably do it as well.

So, anyway, last night we had a good lightning show in the skies again, so I grabbed my newer camera, a Pentax Optio W90, and took 2 video segments with it, and went through the same process of grabbing still images from the video.  Below are some of the pictures.















Overall, I've gotta say the Nikon did better....the Pentax seems to have a lot of extra noise in the low-light conditions.  Still, its better than nothing.  I don't foresee an expensive DSLR camera in my near future, that might take some excellent shots by leaving the shutter open for extended durations during a lightning storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment